Sunday, October 22, 2006

Sari Galin (Yellow Bride)



You may have heard the song "Sari Galin" performed by Mr. Alizadeh and Mr. Gasparyan at the album "Be tamaashaay-e abhaay-e sepid"...one of the most emotional folklore and very old beautiful Azeri songs...
There, Mr. Gasparyan performs it by Flute and not "Baalaabaan" which is traditional Azeri instrument.

Wish you enjoy this beautiful and emotional piece as much as I do...

One of my beloved friends, Dr. Amir Sadjadpour, shared this:
" So interesting to see that love was there all the time, till they finally meet. Right at this moment, they get separated by God. Strangely romantic. I wonder if there undelies a hidden lesson as well?"

As a reply: I myself do not know the secret, maybe it is a way to imply and remind the listener that how valuable "Vesaal (The moment that lover meets the beloved)" is despite all these seperations...because almost at all Azeri folklore pieces that I know this bitter seperation exists...
Remember when in "Sari Galin", the guy advises his yellow bride not to pick the flower when it is young...it implies that his flower (sari galin) was just be seperated and be picked away from him when they were in love with eachother...
so emotional and so beautifully subtle...



Yellow Bride
[Translated into English by Ms. Farida Aghayeva]
[From: © Azerbaijan International]

Don't braid the end of your hair,
Don't pluck the flower while it's young, yellow bride.
Don't braid the end of your hair,
Don't pluck the flower while it's young, yellow bride.

We were born to love eachother,
You are the only one on earth, in life, in the sky.
You are my sunshine, my fire.
I fell in love with you on a moonlit night
The sun, a man and yellow bride,
The only star, land and your breath,
I love life, life is you.

My eyes that see you are full of eagerness,
You came into my dream like a ray, yellow bride.
What kind of love is this? They won't let me marry you.
What should I do, what should I do, yellow bride?
What kind of love is this? They won't give you to me.

It's me, looking for you among the stars.
Answer me, don't break my heart!
I will breathe with your warm breath,
I will remember you all my life,

Enough, dry your tears, don't cry!
Don't keep the fire in your heart too long,
Your destined happiness is written on your forehead.
Pure love within one night.

But this is only a dream and you are in my dream,
You are my yellow bride among my wishes.
What kind of love is this? They won't let us marry.
What should I do, what should I do, yellow bride?
What kind of love is this? They won't give you to me.

It's us, only us and the sky,
You came to me in this utter night.
The light woke me up,
And we got separated among the stars.

Oh, God, hear my crying,
I felt this sharp pain in my heart,
Love is a game and I was winning,
I couldn't imagine such an end.
But you wanted death,

You achieved your goal in the end, yellow bride.
What kind of love is this? They won't let me marry you.
What should I do, what should I do, yellow bride?
You are my yellow bride,
You are my yellow bride.

Along this valley,
Give the lamb back to me, shepherd...
You are my yellow bride...

4 Comments:

Blogger Karunakaran TK said...

Thanks a lot Hossein...
I am from India and this was my introduction to Azeri music and it blew my mind. The melody is really cool. Is Djivan Gasparyan using the Duduk in it?

Could you if possible give me the lyrics of the song? The original one... would like to try to sing it some day...

Thanks a lot

2:06 AM  
Blogger Rana said...

Hi,

I was wondering if you have the original lyrics (in Azeri).

Mersi =)

2:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am wondering is the song is about his love for his sheep!
Sheep is yellow and its wool get curly like braided hair and has warm breath, and pluck the flowers when they eat them!

There is no reference in this lyric to a girl or woman or human, and the name Yelow Bride doesn’t mean anything in Azeri (that is for sure).
He even asks “What kind of love is this?” What does he mean by that question? Is it a strange love? Is it an unusual love?

I think the song is about the love of a man (maybe a shepherd) for his sheep!
The closing like has all the clues;

Give the lamb back to me, shepherd...
You are my yellow bride...

Is he telling the lamb that she is his Yellow Bride?

Only my thought!

12:22 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks a lot Hossein - I have search fo the text of Sari Galin (I use his music on my myspace site on my internetsite www.globalhouseholistic.com - and have searched for the correct translation.
If you want to help me - I really would like to hear the story of the song.
I have heard that it is about two lovrs from different countries that are not able to be married.
Is that true?
many blessings and regards
Silvana

4:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home