Monday, November 20, 2006

French Words of Wisdom (I)




"Mieux vaut plier que rompre"
Better to bend than to break...


"Tout vient à point à qui sait attendre"
All comes on time to the one who knows how to wait...


"Mieux vaut tard que jamais"
Better be late rather than never...


"L'arbre cache souvent la forêt"
The trees often hide the whole forest...


"Qui donne aux pauvres prête à Dieu"
The one who gives to the poor loans to God...


"Ce sont les tonneaux vides qui font le plus de bruit"
It is the empty barrels that make the most noise...


"Avec des "si" et des "mais", on mettrait Paris dans une bouteille"
With all the "If"s and "But"s, one can put the whole city of Paris into a bottle...


"Qui craint le danger ne doit pas aller en mer"
The one who has fear of the dangers, should not go to the sea...


"Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien"
"Better" is the enemy of "Good"...
[It will not let you enjoy the good things you have right now]


"Il ne faut rien laisser au hasard"
Leave nothing to chance...


"La raison du plus fort est toujours la meilleure"
The strongest reason, is always the best one...


"Il ne faut jamais dire " Fontaine, je ne boirai pas de ton eau ! ""
You should never say that "Oh, Fountain! I will never drink your water"...
[You should not be that certain about the future events]


"À coeur vaillant rien d'impossible"
Nothing is impossible for a willing heart...


***
The first series of the French words of wisdom which hopefully will be continued in the future posts.
[Photo: University of Paris in winter, Sorbonne, Paris, France]
[Courtesy of Wikipedia]

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like this part:
"Better be late rather than never".

12:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aghaa Davoud-e gol:
I think we have the similar concept in every culture as in Persian culture Rumi says:
"Doost daarad yaar in ashoftegi
kooshesh-e bihoodeh beh az khoftegi"

Ya Hagh
Hossein

12:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dοеs your blοg haνe а cοntact page?
I'm having a tough time locating it but, I'd likе tο shoot
уou an e-mail. I've got some recommendations for your blog you might be interested in hearing. Either way, great site and I look forward to seeing it grow over time.

Here is my blog Red Kings Poker Bonus

9:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Exсellent ωaу of exрlаіning, and niсe paragгaph tо obtaіn
іnfoгmatiοn concerning my presеntation subject
matter, which і am gоing to dеliѵer іn collegе.


Feel free to suгf to my ρage ... RPΜPoker Offer :: ::

5:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since the admin of thiѕ site is working, no hesitation very
rapidly it will be famous, duе to itѕ fеature contents.


Heгe iѕ my web page ... AmericasCardRoom Promotions

1:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there, I dіѕcοvereԁ your web site by means of Google whіle searсhіng for
а rеlated matter, your web site сamе up, іt seems to be grеat.
I have bοοkmaгκed it in my google bookmarκs.

Нellο there, just become aware οf уour wеblog thгu Google, and lοcatеd that іt is really informаtіve.
Ӏ'm going to watch out for brussels. I'll be grateful for
thoѕe who proceеd thiѕ in future.
Numerous otheг people will be benefited out οf
your writing. Cheers!

my ωеbpage Americas Cardroom Poker Promotions

12:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home